Tuesday, March 15, 2011

We Three See.....if we can actually NOT overpack!

Okay....so maybe just I am seeing if i can NOT overpack.

Mom and Cait already seem to have mastered that....but not me.  No matter where we go, I lug around a suitcase that is too big and a carry-on that strains my back.  Poker trips....China....a weekend in Austin....doesn't really matter.....I just simply over pack.

Well, this time, I have no choice.  Because we are flying RyanAir while in Europe, I simply can't pack too much.  Our airfare from Santiago to London is 12 Euros per person (about 16 bucks!!!!)  The charge for ONE bag, weighing a maximum of 36 pounds is 15 Euro!!!! More than the ticket!  Of course...we have to have one bag.  However....an overweight bag, or a second bag costs 45 Euro.....changing the price of the ticket from $34....to about $90. 

Additionally....we are renting a car to get around in both Spain and in the UK.  In Spain we had some legitimate choices for cars...but in the UK...we are basically renting a butter tub on wheels....so unless I can convince Cait to ride on the hood, we won't have room for my normal excessive luggage.

SO....I'm packed.  In one 24" suitcase.  And I'm packed for the moderate weather we will find in Southern Spain and Morocco, as well as for the bitter cold we will find on the coast of Scotland.  I'm actually taking only  3 pairs of shoes....I normally have more than that in my car when I go to Mom's for the afternoon and she lives just a mile from me! 

I am, even now, fighting the urge to go fit "just one more thing" into my bag.  But I have zipped it up....set it in the corner...and vowed not to touch it until I load it in the car tomorrow.

Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new trend for me.  I might even make it to Vegas this summer with fewer than 11 pairs of shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment