Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Trip's End

Today they left. ...all three of the killer aunts.   Joyce and Mom back to Texas and Tita to Florida.  

After I dropped them at the airport I looked at t the empty rental car.   It was quiet,  sad and empty without them.



Funny how relevant to life that is.  I know that my life would be quiet, sad and empty without these three remarkable women in it.

I learned so much this trip. I learned about memories of their parents and hopes for their children.  They told me  about songs they wanted for memorial services and instruments they played in band.  About first crushes, childhood holidays and each other.

They are as different as the day is long.   Yet there are some abiding truths that bind them .....they love each other, they love their children,  they love God and they love life.

I feel compelled to be sure these things hold fast after they are gone. .... even after I am gone.   Speaking to my cousins,  it is up to us to be sure their legacy of love and family is not lost.  I have fallen short on this in the past.   I don't intend to fall short again.

These three saw Northern Europe.   I was luckier.   I saw the hearts of these three.




2 comments:

  1. What a heart - warming journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your trip and warm/fun thoughts!! It has been delightful.

    ReplyDelete